How to make your bathroom safe for the senior members of your family
Do you have a senior member in your family who finds it difficult to carry out certain basic functions because of their old age? Age is something that catches up with all of us and hence we need to be sensitive to the problems of senior members and try to ease them out as much as possible.
Well one of the most difficult things that an elderly person has to do is carry on with their regular bathroom activities while finding it difficult to move about the way they used to. The bathroom is also a place where at least 10 out of 15 elderly people suffer from accidents. If you are wondering what you can do to ease their pain and make it a bit less difficult for them, then here are some bathroom safety equipment for seniors that you can get them:
- The first thing that you will have to get in your bathroom is a raised toilet seat. These seem pretty irrelevant and unnecessary in the beginning but you will be really benefited if you fit one of these in. It is a huge problem for senior members to sit down to a certain level and then get back up again, since bones become brittle with age. Since the raised toilet seat shortens the distance, it goes a long way in making this daily activity much easier.
- If you have a bathtub then you will have to install certain bathtub safety handles by the bathtub. These will help one in getting inside the bathtub also to come out of it. A support is always required for certain basic movements as we age and hence this is a really great option to install in order make things easier.
- We have all heard of somebody or the other slipping and falling on the bathroom floor; haven’t we? Well, then one of the best things that you can do to avoid is this get anti slip stickers attached to the floor of the bathroom, which increases the friction on the floor and hence prevents one from slipping and falling even when the bathroom floor is wet. You should also make it a practice to wipe the bathroom floor clean after you take a shower.
- Shower chairs are also other bathroom safety equipment that you can install. A lot of people find it difficult to stand for a long time and bathe, and hence, this is a great option for them to enjoy a nice shower, which they can without having to stand up at a stretch for a long time!
- Commode chairs are great for those who find it difficult to sit on the toilet seat, no matter how raised they might. These are like simply sitting on chairs. It is particularly good for people who are suffering from back pains and a spinal cord injury.
It is very important to ensure that the bathroom is a safe and accident proof zone. If you want to make sure of that, then get a hold of these bathroom safety products, today!